Sunday, February 12, 2006

Can you take the pain?

Two Days, 29,035' of elevation gain.
108 degree weather, NO SHADE.

First attempt at Everest, all muscles in both legs cramped at same time. Lunch was coming up quickly as the intense pain was making me dizzy as I stood at the side of the road straddling my bike on the 3rd climb of the first day. I took my helmet off and drank as my wife pulled up in the car asking, "are you OK?". " Do I fu%^ing look OK?" "No you look like shit", "get in the car, dumbass". (Ok, she didn't actually say dumbass, but I could tell she was thinking it)

Quit?! I stamped my hand on the bars and exclaimed "NO! I AM GOING TO FINISH!"
I had 8 more miles to climb, and I could only stand on the pedals or I would cramp. So I stood for 100 pedal strokes, then walked for 3 minutes. These intervals went on for the next 2.5 hours of pure self torture. I finished the day, but could not start the next day.

As if I had not tortured myself enough, I went back the next year to try again. With a conservative plan in place I finished, and braught home the silver medal for the State Championship. Not a bad come back.

So, I ask you, Mister Reader, can you take the pain?
If so, see you in Bishop.
http://www.everestchallenge.com/

2 Comments:

Blogger Chico Cyclist said...

Maybe that dude that said climbing 20,000 to 60,000 feet per week was on to something. Of course, having to do the same thing in a weekend.....uh......I think I may have taken that ride.

7:18 AM  
Blogger Dr. Xeno said...

No thanks for now: Let me take a shot at Diablo Challenge in Fall 06, then I'll see how I feel!
RacerX

12:59 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home