Sunday, April 16, 2006

Copper-all-effed-up-roadoppolis

What a day full of double edged swords.
First lap and just after the climb a break was rolling off with some unmarked yet strong riders. The pace is about 15 MPH slower than last year at this time and OV's on my right shoulder but not making a move. I am stuck with a multi-teared dilemma, I don't want to pull OV up to the break, I am the only EMC/Vellum rider with an open door, and I am on my hoods instead of the drops. If I move my hands everyone will know what I am about to do. So I jumped best I could in this mediocre at best type jump, I am winding the gear out and I can't help but think I am dragging the whole pack with me.
I look back and not so much. It could be that I am not marked, or most think it's way too early(my hand is raised), or maybe by not advertising it was just sneaky enough even though it was not fast. Or a little of all of the above.

Initially I just wanted to mark this and make sure we were represented, but the gap started growing and the company was good. So we drove it and got organized. I was committed to the move now and had a responsibility to the team to do my best, and in this case a little more than my best.
My legs were still feeling the hard workout from Thursday and I was going through all kinds of pain. I tried my best to hide it and not shrug my pulls, but I could tell I was the weak link in this break.
The other double edged sword was the tire choice. After reading PAB's blog about the course, I went out and changed to the pure bomb proof tires that I train on. I was able to ride through just about anything, but they add nearly half a pound of rotating weight and they roll like shit.

Dano from the Bag Boys blew through our break like we were going backwards. He didn't even slow down to say hello, eff you, or stick his tongue out in a taunting nature. BAM GONE!

Those in our break that anything surged and that was about it for me, I had to ride a sensible ride and tried to partner up with Jeff Caton (CRC/Hill) who had ridden like stud all day. Unfortunately he had given a bit much to pace and was dying a slow death on the climb. Chris D. from investment firm came up with with Blue Boy in tow, I dug deep and jumped on the train. It was all I had to stay on and these two were flying. They were catching the break, so this was definitely a good move, a painful move, but far better than giving up.

I hung on until the last climb, this was going to have to do. I caught another breakaway compadre who was bonking and encouraged him to stay with me over the top. We were still clear starting the decent, but the Shark Man was tossing his hat into the ring. Dig time again and I sprinted for the wheel pushing past Frakes with an agro MTB type decent move.
The mistake made was not attempting to drive when we were clear from Frakes. He made it back and both had enough to hold me off in the final sprint. It was a painful 9th, but my best finish there ever. Done the hard way.

Here is a shout out to my man NP who finished up the race after a nasty fall. It must be that extra vain in the leg that keeps him rolling.


Hats off to the O man, and Silent J. for finishing it up all suffering like.
Here is a shot of Kramerica Inc. finishing up for a solid ride, top 15 we think.
Special thanks to the British Naval captain and Kramerica Inc. for the solid team work done in the pack.

And wouldn't you know, it's friggen raining again.

7 Comments:

Blogger Chico Cyclist said...

Way to go out there guys!! Hope Nathan is okay - what happened in the crash???

That race is a toughy. Good job out there!

10:55 AM  
Blogger Ron Castia said...

Not sure, I think he hit some of the messed up road debris, flatted his front and took a tumble.

Look at his left shifter.

11:35 AM  
Blogger Chico Cyclist said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

7:59 AM  
Blogger PAB(a.k.a.CID) said...

I make it a point never to comment on long race report posts...

7:51 PM  
Blogger Ron Castia said...

I think the frame took most of the damage.

9:45 PM  
Blogger Ron Castia said...

The photos have been removed. I was trying to direct some attention to Ronald Mariano's site and show off his great work. I even think, thanks to this BLOG, that Silent J was going to buy the photo of his ride.
Ronald does really nice work and our team is planning on purchasing a substantial number of photos from our team budget.
The crankyness is kind of uncool.

9:50 AM  
Blogger Ron Castia said...

The photo dude that I tried to give credit to. Shame on me for trying to drive traffic to his site and help him sell pictures.

BTW: If the photographers are going to get all pissy about thier photos, I ask this: Did I sign anything authorizing them to use my likeness on thier site? For profit?
Did our sponsors?
Do they kickback anything to the race promoters who provide the canvas by which they create thier art? Maybe, but I doubt it.

9:16 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home