Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Product Review: FRS Plus

I am currently testing a bottle of the FRS Plus and upon review of the label noticed that it is very high in sugar.

While quercetin is an anti-inflammatory, sugar is an inflammatory. I am also not thrilled about adding 110 calories into my diet during a time that I am trying to lean out in preparation for next season.

I read the information on the website about the cycling tests, but I have to honestly question if these improvements were on top of an existing nutritional supplementation plan (E-Caps Premium Insurance Caps, or other) or if it is a comparison to no plan at all.

If the baseline is to compare FRS to non supplementation then the performance results are not that impressive. If the baseline was with an athlete that is currently on a supplementation program it should be noted as such. This also leads the question as to what was the supplementation program they are/were on?

If they were on none, than anything they take will improve performance. They could simply take 5,000 mg of vitamin C, CoEnzyme Q10, and some calcium and they will see a big difference over taking nothing at all.

To prove that a product really works, test the athlete while on his current supplementation program, have him/her go off of it for two weeks, then start him/her on FRS and test again. Only then will you have an accurate base line to concur that the product is the one that athletes should choose.

To do otherwise would be the equivalent to testing a product like Gatorade for hydration of an athlete and comparing it to plain water. That test would be a pure joke. While we all know that Gatorade will supply some fluid replacements, it isn't the quality in any way shape or form to what is currently available on the market in other hydration drinks.

How many folks really care what a sponsored pro has to say about a product? They are likely getting it for free, or even getting paid to take it. Hey, pay me to take it and it is the best product in the World. Ask me to spend my limited budget on it, and you will get an honest evaluation.
If it works I'll be the first to try and tell the World (minus Olaf), if it doesn't I'll be sure to tell Olaf how great it is and the rest to save their money.


You Savvy?

8 Comments:

Blogger diskzero said...

I used it before some events this season. It gave me an energy boost, most likely from the sugar and the caffeine. I am/was already on a supplement program, so the added vitamins, etc. probably had no effect.
I was unsure if there was an actual net gain in performance.

6:37 AM  
Blogger Ron Castia said...

As in the statement on their website quercetin is found in blueberries and other fruits with a substantial amount of color. Blueberries will help stabilize glucose levels helping to avoid the spikes that sugar creates.
In essence that information is telling me to eat more blueberries and just drink a cup of green tea.
The B vitamins are abundant in the Premium Insurance Caps and Xobaline.

There really does not seem to be a gain by taking an inflamatory (sugar) mixed with an anti-inflamatory. The product is battling it's own damage.

8:20 AM  
Blogger Lorri Lee Lown -- velogirl said...

kinda like mising coffee with beer?

10:08 AM  
Blogger Lorri Lee Lown -- velogirl said...

oops -- that would be mixxing. or is that mixing?

10:08 AM  
Blogger Gianni said...

Tell Olaf about one more thing and he'll be lapping my sorry ass twice a race rather than once.

2:21 PM  
Blogger Ron Castia said...

Gianni: Read it closer buddy.

VG: That is a good analogy, uh...sort of.

Maybe more like saying "I have green tea with breakfast because it's healthier than coffee" but your breakfast is jelly donut.

Incidently sugar is 4 grams of sugar per teaspoon of sugar. This stuff has 27 grams of sugar in 2 ounces of concentrate. I am no mathmetician, but I think that equates to 6.75 teaspoons of sugar.
Is that much sugar even soluable in 2 ounces of fluid?
Thats like a soda.

I think I'll wash my vitamins down with a can of Coke.

Right!

3:22 PM  
Blogger X Bunny said...

looks like another 'me-too' product--doesn't offer anything unique

3:57 PM  
Blogger Ron Castia said...

That is pretty much what I thought even when getting past the sugar issue.
Take away the sugar and the product still isn't much to rave about. There really isn't anything in it.

8:43 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home