Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Paskenta Tickler

No time to do a big report, but here are some highlights.

Fantastic weather. Big Guns O plenty to battle it out with.

Nate was in a 7 man break before Corning accompanied by Gianni doing his best impression of Jens Voigt to make the break stick.

Personal best for me, I made it through the dirt without a hitch and even kicked up a little dust of my own to remind the boys that I play in the dirt once in while.

With Nate off, I was left to do 4 hours of interval workouts and got to practice bridging gaps without pulling the whole pack with me. Shut a lot of attacks down.

Finished in the lead group, we unfortunately caught Nate about 2 K from the finish. He had one hell of an epic ride. He entered the gravel section with 7 other riders, a tandem, and 4 minute gap. He exited the gravel solo and left shrapnel of the breakaway strewn all over the gravel road.

Total non-stop ride time was 4 hours 12 minutes for this 100 mile slug fest.

Equipment:
Vellum Edge Bike
Demo Williams Wheel System 30
350 gram Fatty Fat training tires.
2 spare tubes
Pump
Cell Phone
Money
Credit Card
Drivers License
Too much food

6 Comments:

Blogger Gianni said...

What did you think of the Williams wheels?

8:34 PM  
Blogger Chico Cyclist said...

And how did you like the 350 gram tires???

9:43 AM  
Blogger Ron Castia said...

Gianni: The WW's have a lot of features I really like. They are laterally stiff like my Euros, but light and snappy like my Ritchey DS wheels.
I did not get a true demo due to the front hub needing overhaul. The set that I was one spent all of Cross season in New England underneath a top 10 rider. Which does say something good about durability. Keith is making a swap with me today to get me a front that will roll better and give me a true feel. The rear is solid.
When you consider that I was on $8.00 fat and heavy tires, the wheel stability was definitely a contributing factor to how well and how many times I was able to jump gaps.

CC: The tires worked great in the dirt, they actually have a little side ridge that helped me hook up well. Combined with Latex Michy tubes, they rolled pretty decent. But I paid for it in the sprint. I was almost on Angerman when the needle pegged, but I could not close the last few feet.
Not to mention I was dragging a particular individual that had somebody motorpace the pack while Nate, Rich, and an SV rider were off.
Motivation went flat when I heard that voice shout for me to catch Jeff's wheel.

10:37 AM  
Blogger diskzero said...

Nice report. Maybe next year for me.

Hey, are you going to travel down to Cantua Creek this year? I am totally undecided.

10:40 AM  
Blogger Ron Castia said...

I am in the same boat, but leaning towards racing.

8:13 AM  
Blogger Erik the angry said...

Nomeo

Sorry I barked at ya with a few to go when you were wrenchin' it for Rich. Got frustrated towing the group around and took it out on you... which I apologize for.

Look forward to racing with you in 2007!

Hope you and the family are well. See you soon.

JA

5:30 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home