Monday, August 07, 2006

Fall down go boom!

Yes I crashed... Damn it! So this is a preemptive post so that I don't have to tell the story 800 times.

It was a stupid crash on a section of road that I have been through 500 times.
The 500' of straight road after the last turn on Diablo just before the houses.

I don't remember why I looked away from the road, but when I looked up I was inches from the edge of pavement. That section of road has no shoulder and drops into a 2 to 2.5' deep drainage ditch running along the road.
In that split second I realized I was going down and went into damage control. If my rear tire slips out I am going to hit the ground hard and the same if my front drops into the ditch. So I did my best MTB "look for an exit and hope for the best" move. I hung my butt off the back grabbed as much brake as I could with out locking up and dropped both wheels into the ditch. I was hoping for a little luck and though maybe I could ride this out and come to a stop with minor scratches.
It was a good plan, I just happen to be going a little to fast and after about 15 feet of travel my front wheel washed out to the left tossing me into the side of the ditch on my arm and a small portion of my face.
I was lucky, just a couple of small raspberries on my chin, left cheek, and lip, a quarter size chunk out of my arm and some scratches on my hands (should have been wearing my usual mechanics gloves). Nothing broken since I was already at ground level when I lost the front wheel. It doesn't look pretty, but I am not really hurt that bad "tiz but a flesh wound, I've ad worse".

I cleaned up and even proceeded with my chores around the house. Later that afternoon we went out on the tandem with the Oliveri clan. People must have thought my wife insane to be on the back with the likes of me driving.

I have been taking a new product from NOW Nutrition called D-Flame for the pain and swelling. It seems to work pretty well and without the negative aspects of drug anti-inflamatories.

3 Comments:

Blogger Ron Castia said...

No, it's what Tattoo yelled when the island club house caught on fire.

"D flame, D flame, somebody call D fire department"

4:21 PM  
Blogger Chico Cyclist said...

Dude - That sux!!! Hope you're healing quickly. Those raspberries can be annoying.

8:39 AM  
Blogger Dr. Xeno said...

Sorry to make you tell it too! Yeah, I checked that ditch on ride on weds and noticed that drop was pretty nasty. Well, heal up & thanks for the reminder of the inherent danger. Glad it wasn't worse.

3:16 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home