Thursday, December 07, 2006

Cycling Reflection

Thanks to Olaf I have some new content. Boring for most, and likely not a very interesting read.

With the folks over on his blog talking about how isolated cycling is for them I had to seriously scratch my head. My experience has been completely the opposite.

Cycling has introduced me to a much higher quality of people than I might have previously been around. These folks have become the choice for whom my honey and I wish to spend our time. They are fun, intelligent (some flat out scary smart) , honest, health minded, and good natured people to be around.

The friendships that Groovy T and I have built over the last 10 years have enriched our lives in more ways than we give credit for. From good relationships and healthy lifestyles to shifts in our perspective on life in general. There is this concept of entrainment that happens with groups of people. In essence it is sort of like the theory of osmosis.
Example:
When I first started racing I met a friend who was very successful, he was financially in a place where most would like to be. He worked hard to get there and was enjoying the fruits of his labor. It was because of him that I made a huge leap at the age of 29 to get a degree in drafting and go to night school. It was tough, a 40 hour a week job, class from 6 to 10, and a 45 minute hammer session on a crit course near the school before class.
It changed my life! I have a great job in a good field, flexible schedule, and I am fitter both financially and physically than I have ever could have imagined.
I am not rich, and I am not the fastest old fart out there, but I am doing well and every once in awhile I can rip a leg or two off.

Being around successful people has given me the confidence I needed to make the team (with a lot of help) what it has grown into today. I have been on and around a few teams and I can honestly say no team is running the way we are. It is due to the commitment and quality of people involved that our silly little bike club has grown into an organization with a business model that would be successful in any industry.

It's no doubt that it is a boat load of work, but thanks to folks like Gianni stepping up to the plate and helping us to diversify, this year will be far more tolerable and fun.

To end that thought, Groovy T and I are sooooo looking forward to this weekend when Petite and family stay over.

Here is to good friends both on and off the bike!!!

6 Comments:

Blogger X Bunny said...

oh no, you're missing the final surfcity....

1:16 PM  
Blogger Ron Castia said...

Yeah, cross will have to wait until next year.

4:27 PM  
Blogger norcalcyclingnews.com said...

yo, G.

i reckon you've put forth a good example of what the point was ... we have a community - bonded by our own myopic, treasured needs and pleasures.

well done, i say.


now go train. i plan on puttin the hurt on all you spiderboys in '07.

8:09 PM  
Blogger Ron Castia said...

Oh I am trainin. Built me up a heavy bike with heavy wheels, shorter cranks, and heavy tires that roll like shit.
I am gonna suck for the first few months though. Build nice and slow like.

8:35 PM  
Blogger Gianni said...

Bummed to miss the Surf and the Rod and Keith show.
But we have 25 folks coming to my house all weekend.
Every single member of the womens' team will be there.
Even our newest one at a whopping 14 years old.
I'm just impressed with the level of commitment I see out of cyclists in many places this year.
Very, very impressive.

9:35 PM  
Blogger Dr. Xeno said...

Tell it!

12:39 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home