Friday, December 22, 2006

SRAM, I have made the Leap

This is a product I have been anticipating for quite a while. I have used SRAM on my Mt. Bike for several seasons with out a flaw and figured they had it together. Besides if you have seen my ride you know that I am sucker for new things, just look at my grips. As one of our teammates puts it "I am marketer's dream".

I was not disappointed, the shifting is precise and quick. It does make a little more clacking noise than Campy, but I actually like it. I have found there is a certain rhythm to the clacking if the more you follow the rhythm the smoother it shifts. I have several rides on the Force Group now and I have only reached for the thumb shifter once. I even tried Benny J's wrist twitch shift technique when the pace is ramping up for a sprint, kind of cool.

The groupo has given my Vellum Edge a whole new feel. It's very light and feels wicked fast. The hoods are very well designed and the brake levers are skewed to the outside just a little, making it easier for my little meat hooks to reach when on the tops.

One thing I would like to see SRAM incorporate is a half click when in the big ring for some trim adjustment. I am told it is not needed when the front derailleur is set just right, but I have been spoiled with this feature on Campy levers and I think other Campy users will want it.

I will be installing a Campy front derailleur clamp today to replace the Shimano. The Shimano has a lip at the top which limits adjustability.

Lastly, a really great feature that I like is the cassette options. I ordered the 11 x 23 and the 11 x 26, I am currently riding the 11 x 26.
I like my 11, and I like the options of the 26 mostly so I can pound the climbs in the big ring longer with less cross chain.

Fun, it is all about the fun, and SRAM is putting a giant smile on my face!!

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The FORCE has been with me for a few weeks and I like it.

MS

1:18 PM  
Blogger diskzero said...

It is cool stuff for sure. I have been riding with it since July. I actually never put the front derailleur on as the Shimano seat tube clamp doesn't mesh with the Force mount. I'll have to track down the right one.

10:05 AM  
Blogger Ron Castia said...

Get a Campy clamp from Excelsport.

9:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just kept my Dura-ace FD.

Lame but I was feelin lazy at the time so there ya go.

MS

7:51 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home