Sunday, June 24, 2007

Gettin ready for the Climb to Kaiser ER

Been on a very nice break from the racing scene and getting in the long miles. It's been nice and missed. I love the long days in the saddle at sub earbleed heart rates.

In preparation I made some mods to the steed.
  1. With much resistance I have shortened my cranks to the suggested 170s from the 172.5s that I am used to.

  2. Went and had a fitting session with Rick over at Eden Bikes in Castro Valley. He dropped me down and back and worked some voodoo on my cleat position. Rick says I have a good sweep through the bottom and need to back a little in order to use it. Result= faster cadence...much faster.

Training:
Death march like training with Nate Dawg, 3 times to the summit of Diablo last week for an even 100 round trip, followed by 2.5 hours on the tandem including the Wente course backwards (and we don't run a triple). Practiced the Diablo TT course on Wednesday, and hit the hills of Oakland/Moraga followed by a trip to the Diablo summit yesterday. Today, a 45 mile cruise in the morning up Calaveras Road with a detour up Welch (bitch) Creek Road.
On lower intensity periods (sub 145 HR) I have been forcing myself to breath through the nose. Not an easy task considering intake is 50% of what it should be. Kind of like riding with a restrictor plate, but it is forcing me to really expand the chest cavity and breath slow and really deep. Should help when I go in for the Taz roto-rooter treatment.

The weight is coming down (135), lowest it's been this year, and the RPMs are way up. I have lost my leverage, but I am getting used to the 100+ rpms.

C2K is all about riding within yourself, it would be nice if I can summit with The Shark, but I am not going to kill it to do so. If I am there we will have a good time running back to Fresberg, but if I am not I will sit at the top lounging and waiting for Gianni. Good times either way!

This week will be an easy week of commuting to work by bike with a hard effort on the Diablo TT course on Wednesday to make sure no cobwebs settle in. Rest is the order of the week.

Congratulations to Petite Pedals on a long overdue win this weekend. I hope to see more of that type of riding.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks Ron!!!

135 is good, don't go any lower...you guys are killing me with that weight loss!!! No more cheese, beers, margaritas...what's up with that???

6:57 PM  
Blogger Ron Castia said...

The goal is 130, only 5 more pounds.

7:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm always getting the sideways look when I hop on the scale.

153,152,151 and .......

ms

9:54 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home