Monday, July 02, 2007

Kaiser Wrap Up, no frills...

I decided to stick to my plan of making this a build ride for later events.
You have two choices at Kaiser, kill it and spend a couple of weeks recovering...and maybe not enjoy the ride. Or, keep in below threshold and use it to build.

Having this be my 4th time I chose the latter.

Gianni and I had a little fun at the start and did some pace setting, and keeping the bike upright.
300+ riders and most of them tourists in a mass start, you definitely want to be at the front.

After Sasser and Jonathan started hitting the early climbs pretty hard I decided to back off and cruise and let them have at it (swords drawn). Get out of the way, or you might get cut.

Gianni pulled into the first rest stop as I was leaving and thought, ah screw it, I drug him out her to this thing so I wait and we will enjoy the company. Gianni's front derailuer was trying to opt out of the ride, but the mechanics fixed him up. 20 minutes later we were rolling again.
Nice and easy, keeping the HR round 155 up Toll House. Nice steady spin with lots of breath to chat it up. Even did some coaching along the way and help some poor soles out.
One kid had the build of climber, but he was wrestling with his bike, and the bike was winning.
"Relax, keep the upper body stable, and don't pogo up and down".
I chatted with this rider later, he mentioned it helped and he was having a much better ride.

Gianni and I split up just after the Shaver Lake stop, and I decided to punch it for awhile.
I turned on the MP3 player and let Iron Maiden, Accept, and Rainbow drive me up the Big Creek climb. Easily one of the hardest sections of road in California. With the music blaring, and the new 27 spinning I pounded up this section faster and easier than I had done on any of the other 3 times at this event. Even the 20% section seemed to go by pretty quickly.

Same same up Kaiser Pass.

It was nice to finish this brute of a ride (155 Miles, 13,500' of climbing) feeling pretty fresh and having enjoyed the hospitality along route. The melon ROCKED, now I am craving cantaloupe big time. Looks like it's pretty good for you, check that link.

It brings a bit of a smile to face to think of all those riders who think they are racing this thing and blow all the rest stops just so they can finish 30th something and finish 2 minutes earlier than last year.
Got news for you dude...you didn't ride any faster, and you didn't do yourself or your fitness any favors.
If you aren't in it to win it, relax and have some fun...it's a beautiful ride and oh so much more enjoyable to feel good on the bike...the next day!

Not having destroyed myself, the wife and I went for a nice ride Sunday morning with a slow group out of Ptown. It was fun and good for the recovery.

Today, I feel great!

5 Comments:

Blogger Gianni said...

Savage.

4:32 PM  
Blogger veloandvino said...

why didn't I get an invite?

5:54 PM  
Blogger Ron Castia said...

Your on the "A" list man, you don't need an invite.

9:12 AM  
Blogger veloandvino said...

thanks, next time.

A list??

Is that like a-hole?

6:56 PM  
Blogger Ron Castia said...

Depends on my mood. :-)

4:56 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home