Monday, March 20, 2006

I must be a little slow in the head...

America,
I just don't get something. What is it about resorting to bodily injury of another individual that makes the aggressor think he is changing the other persons mind about what they are disagreeing on?

I understand a good arguement, actually as a seeker of truth, I love a good arguement. One where facts are presented, alternative perspectives, then ultimately the arrival at common ground through the meeting of intelectual discussion. What is better than a good arguement to help find clearer ways of presenting and evaluating the facts around your personal conclussion on a topic?
(from Monty Python's Arguement Clinnic Sketch)
M: No it can't. An argument is a collective series of statements used to establish a contrary position.
A: No it isn't.
M: Yes it is! It's not just contradiction.
What I don't get is when one party feels that the only way to change the other person's contrary position is by cutting them off in a race and running them off the road.
Laying in a ditch the injured party says to himself "maybe he is right, I never looked at it from that persepective before, I'll have to re-evaluate my facts". That is pretty crazy, but logically this is the only thought I can imagine the aggressor thinking he will achieve.

Actually, what I think is really happening is that the aggressor realizes he is wrong, or lacks any real facts supporting his position, but is too much of a ego maniac to admit it. So instead resorts to causing physical harm in attempt to keep his self image intact.

BTW: No, this event did not happen to me, but I did witness this act, or at least the aggressor's act at the road race. Truth is I am just bewildered and will probably buy some Johnson's and Johnson's stock since there seems to be an abundance of people with scraped up knuckles in need of band aids. (that is a reference to knuckle dragers, folks).
Truth is, if this did happen to me, I am such a hard headed moron that I would be laying in the ditch still arguing my point. "Uh... excuse me, yes I am bleeding now, but this really doesn't do much for supporting your contrary position, and now I not only think you are daft, but also an Asshole as well." "And by the way, if you wish to continue this argument, it is going to cost you another $5.00." " Acceptance bodily injury is substantially more but is billed on a Time and Materials fashion." "Will that be cash or credit, I also take Paypal?" "Or perhaps you would just like to concede?"

It could be the death of me. Eh?

2 Comments:

Blogger Chico Cyclist said...

HOLY smokes......what is up with the aggression out there?? I don't really know what's going on in the heads of those doing that kinda stuff, but they seem to get all bent outta shape at the stupidest things. I mean, geesh, guys are going Zanoli out there sometimes(yeah, I know he's dead, but he was also a brute).

1:37 PM  
Blogger Dr. Xeno said...

Dayom! Maybe just plain bad pack skills in the 4/5 races isn't so bad afterall.

5:53 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home